If you haven’t heard the term, “Trailing Spouse” it has to do with a family that is forced to move due to a job or relocation and one of the spouses moves early to get things established while the other trails behind, bringing family, household goods, and who knows what else. In Sarah Wells’ case, she followed behind her husband bringing 30 head of cattle! In this episode of I Love Madison, you’ll get to hear the trailing spouse story of Sarah Wells, what she has done to get involved in the community now that she lives in Madison, and all about her business ventures that are benefiting the community. It’s a great conversation that you won’t want to miss.
It’s not easy being a trailing spouse, but Sarah Wells is a great example of what can be done to make the experience less stressful and more fulfilling
Bringing up the rear when the family has to move is not always a fun experience. Sarah moved to Madison in November – not the best time to get out and about due to weather issues. So, in her own words, Sarah was stuck inside for almost 8 months – but when it was possible she got out of her house and found ways to get involved. In this conversation, you’re going to hear the inspiring story of how Sarah has gotten involved with local charities, has established her own business in Madison, and is doing her best to connect moms around town. Sarah is proof. that the trailing spouse experience does not have to be an isolated one.
A business that also plans meetups for moms? Yep, that’s what Sara Wells is doing with Wishing Wells Boutique and Community
It’s not every day that you find a business owner who is also investing in the community in which they live. Sarah Wells has established an online clothing boutique for children and women that is designed to generate a profit. But it also has a community aspect to it through planning meetups for moms who need to get connected with others. It’s a great opportunity for moms of all ages to connect with like-minded individuals and feel better connected to the Madison Community as well. Find out how Sarah’s organization is pulling all this off, on this episode of I love Madison.
Madison, Wisconsin is a great place for trailing spouses. Find out why on this episode
A trailing spouse is the one that follows their spouse to their new hometown after the new job has begun, leaving their life behind to pursue their spouse’s new career. The career spouse makes the move first, gets connected at their new job, meets new people, feels accepted, and naturally falls in love with the city. Meanwhile, when the trailing spouse finally arrives they typically find themselves at home, are often looking for work, and are trying to get connected. They can easily feel lonely and isolated. In this episode, you’ll hear about Sarah’s story as a trailing spouse and how she took initiative to ensure that she wasn’t the one feeling isolated and alone. It’s an inspiring story that you’ll want to hear.
If you haven’t started playing the I Love Madison magnets game, what are you waiting for? You can win some cool stuff
All of us involved with the I Love Madison Show are super excited about our magnets game. Here’s how you can get involved: Go to our website, www.ILoveMadisonShow.com and sign up to receive your magnet. It’s free. At the beginning of every month, a number will be drawn and prizes will be given away. But you can also collect other magnets when you see them around town. Take a picture, post it on any social media platform using the hashtag #MadisonGOM (Madison Game of Magnets) and you could win any time that magnet number is drawn. Beginning in the summer of 2018 you can find the golden magnet and win even more prizes. Find out more by listening to this episode.
Outline of This Episode
- [1:12] Neil’s introduction to his guest, Sara Wells.
- [3:12] The Madison Food Tournament is starting – find out how you can get involved
- [4:15] This episode’s meetup of the week – Ucre at Village Lanes
- [7:57] The “My Move” segment with Chris Reese – this episode’s guest,Tom Reese
- [14:37] Who is Sarah Wells? For one, she’s a trailing spouse…
- [18:40] Sarah’s company – Wishing Wells Boutique and Community
- [20:39] Wells Farms: Farm to Table beef (get your discount code below)
Resources & People Mentioned
- Text “ILoveMadison” to “44222” and start playing the magnets game
- Lunchtime Live in Madison
- The Ironman Race in Madison
- Swagat Restaurant in Madison
- Box of Balloons in Madison, WI
- Wishing Wells Boutique and Community
- Wells Farms: Madison Wisconsin – Use “ILoveMadison” to get $5 off your first order
This Episode’s Sponsors:
- Chris Reese of American Family Insurance
- Abbey Wentland of Fairway MortgageCopyright 2017 Fairway Independent Mortgage Corporation. NMLS#2289. 4750 S. Biltmore Lane, Madison, WI 53718, 1-877-699-0353. Other restrictions and limitations may apply. All rights reserved.
- Kelly Roettger of UniKern Studio